These cookies work perfectly if you’re hankerin’ a sweet and spicy treat. Take one bite and you’ll get the delicious fruity flavor of the habanero peppers kick in at ten seconds in, and isn’t until 15 to 20 seconds after first taking a bite does the heat fully develop. It’s a cool “two stage” snack that goes great with a glass of milk or wine
- Makes about 24 cookies
- 100g salted butter (room temperature)
- 100g caster sugar
- 1 large organic free range egg
- 5 drops – 10 drops habanero sauce (5 drops very mild, 10 bigger kick)
- 250g plain flour
- 400g icing sugar
- Heat the oven to Gas Mark 5/190C/375F and prepare two baking trays.
- Cream the butter and sugar together in a large mixing bowl until soft and fluffy.
- Beat the egg and Kankun habanero sauce together and gradually beat into the creamed butter and sugar, adding a tsp of the flour at a time to make sure the mixture doesn’t curdle.
- Stir in the rest of the flour until you have a soft dough – you make need to get your hands in there to get everything together!
- Roll the dough out on a lightly floured work surface to about 1cm thickness and cut out heart shapes. Bake in the oven for 8-10 minutes until just going golden brown around the edges.
- Leave to cool completely before icing and adding your chosen decorations (we love chili flakes or freeze dried raspberries).
Have Fun Cooking!