- 1 kg/2lb 4oz baking potatoes, peeled and placed in a bowl of cold water to prevent them from browning
- 3-4 cloves garlic
- 500ml of double cream
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 bottle of KANKUN® chipotle sauce
- Preheat the oven to 160C
- Slice the potatoes into thin slices, about 3mm/⅛in thick. Place the slices into a bowl as you cut them
- Trim the ends off the garlic cloves but don’t peel. Grate the cloves on a grater. The flesh will go through the fine holes and the skins will be left behind. Scrape the grated garlic flesh into the bowl with the potatoes.
- Season the potatoes, to taste, with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Pour the cream over the potatoes and mix well again.
- Place the potato slices into the gratin dish. They should come to just below the top of the dish. Press the potato down with the back of a spoon or your hands so it forms a solid layer. The cream should come to just below the top layer of potato (top up with more double cream if necessary).
- Place the potatoes in the oven and bake for 1-1½ hours, or until the potatoes are completely tender. (If the cream looks like it’s splitting, your oven is too hot, so turn it down a bit.)
- Serve the dauphinoise with your favourite KANKUN® sauce to spice up the dish.