Tamales are a traditional Mexican dish made of masa (a starchy dough, usually corn-based), which is steamed or boiled in a leaf wrapper and the wrapping is discarded before eating. They can be filled with meats, cheeses, fruits, vegetables, chilies or any preparation according to taste.
Method to prepare Tamales:
1. Soak the corn husks in warm water until soft.
2. Mix Corn flour (Maseca for Tamales), vegetable lard, pork or corn oil, add salt to taste, the baking powder and the chicken broth.
3. Shred the chicken and marinate in Kankun jalapeno hot sauce or Kankun chipotle hot sauce (for a vegetarian version you could use the shredded meats that are provided by companies like Linda McCartney’s)
4. Spread masa evenly over corn husks, and spread a spoonful of marinated chicken on top of the masa.
5. Fold the sides of the corn husk to center over the masa so that they overlap to make a long package.
6. Fold the empty part of the husk under so that it rests against the side of the tamale with a seam.
7. Place the tamales in a steamer and cook tamales for 40-45 minutes.
8. Check every 15 minutes.
9. It will be cooked when you notice that it separates easily from the corn husk.