Pastor Tacos, is a very popular Mexican street food dish. In this recipe the pork is marinated with KanKun Pastor and then slowly cooked. This dish has a unique sweet, earthy aroma delivered by the combination of pineapple, chilies, and many other Mexican spices.
KanKun Pastor cooking sauce delivers in one simple step the same sweet-chili flavors and rich consistency of the famous Mexican Street food dish Tacos al Pastor, where pork is marinated and then slowly cooked with a gas flame on a vertical rotisserie called “trompo” (lit: spinning top), very similar to how shawarma is done, with a piece of fresh onion and a pineapple on top.
Make great tasting Pastor Tacos in your own kitchen, forget the “trompo”, just add the cooking sauce to a piece of pork, slow cook, served with tortillas and grilled slices of pineapple.
- 1 jar KanKun Pastor
- 500 g pork shoulder
- 1 white onion, thinly sliced
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1 x 10 pack mini plain tortilla wraps
- 1/4 x 30g pack coriander, roughly chopped
- pineapple sliced
- lime sliced (garnish)
For the pork pastor:
- Add some vegetable oil in a medium sized sauce pan, add the onions a sauté until cook, add the pork, stir for 1 minute.
- Add 1 jar of KanKun Pastor cooking sauce, add ¼ of water. Bring to the boil, cover over and reduce heat to medium and cook for 50 minutes or until the pork is cooked through (you can also use a slow cooker or the grilled). Check during the cooking process to make sure it does not get dry, add some more water if needed.
- Remove the pork on to a cutting board. Shred the pork.
- Return the shredded pork to the sauce pan, and cook and stir for 5 minutes or longer.
- Do not allow to get too dry the consistency should be moisture.
- In a separate pan roast the pineapple until golden brown, make sure it does not burn.
- Set warm tortillas on plates. Top with the pork. Garnish with onions, coriander, and pineapple.
If you ever wanted to cook the popular Pastor Tacos at home, but you were put off by the lengthy process and the sourcing of the long list of ingredients, you will be pleased to know that you can now buy it in a jar. KanKun wants to make Mexican food simple and convenient while still holding the traditional and authenticity of Mexican street food flavors.
KanKun Pastor cooking sauce delivers a sensational fruity, and spicy flavor with delicious citric notes brought by the combination of pineapple, dried chilies, and Mexican Spices.